Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 88001395
Historic Name COLONY PARK PAVILION
Description of Significance THE COLONY PARK PAVILION IS THE PRINCIPAL STRUCTURE IN A 20 ACRE PARK CONSTRUCTED BY THE WPA IN 1936-1937. THE PAVILION IS A SINGLE-STORY RECTANGULAR BUILDING CONSTRUCTED FROM RUSTICATED AND COURSED SANDSTONE AND LARGE WOODEN LOGS. THE PAVILION HAS A GABLED ROOF. THE BUILDING IS UNUSUAL FOR A WPA CONSTRUCTED PROJECT AND IS MORE SIMILAR TO WORK DONE BY THE CCC IN THE STATE. CONSTRUCTION OF THE PAVILION PROVIDED MUCH NEEDED EMPLOYMENT FOR LOCAL MEN, AS WELL AS A QUALITY RECREATIONAL FACILITY FOR LOCALS AND VISITORS ALIKE. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 9/8/1988.
Current Name SAME
Address WILBURTON VICINITY
City WILBURTON
County LATIMER
Lot
Block
Current Section 21 AND 22
Township 4N
Range 19E
Type BUILDING
Historic Function RECREATION AND CULTURE: OUTDOOR RECREATION
Current Function RECREATION AND CULTURE: OUTDOOR RECREATION
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2 COMMERCE
Date Prepared CA 1988
Year Built 1936-1937
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder UNKNOWN
Architectural Style WPA
Roof Material UNCOLLECTED
Wall Material STONE: SANDSTONE
Window Material N/A
Door Material UNCOLLECTED
Decorative Details
Condition EXCELLENT
Comments
Restricted N